[OOTB-gov] Defining the voting mechanism for the Board elections

Boriss Mejias tchorix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:49:33 BST 2015

Dear GOV members,

It's really about time to define a voting mechanism for the Board
elections. On April 28 we will open the nominations for candidates to the
Board, so we have one week for the task. Here is a proposal for the voting
mechanism:

0 - *The Board will have between 3 to 5 members*. The amount of board
members depends on the % of received votes. We want board members with a
minimal of support from the bees. See point 2.

1 - *Each voting member can vote for 5 candidates ordered by preference*.
Each name voted has a value of one vote. A voting member cannot include a
candidate more than once on her vote.

2 - *Only candidates with at least 20% of votes can become board members.*
This is to guarantee that each of the 5 board members has at least the
support of 1/5 of the voting members. The % is only based on the emitted
votes, not on the total amount of voting members.

3 - *Candidates will be ranked first by the amount of votes, and then by
average of preference.* The first 5 members that has the minimal support
stated in point 2 are elected Board members. If only 3 or 4 members has the
minimal support, the board will have less members. If less than 3
candidates has the minimal support, the board will be declared
non-representative, and we will need to call to a new election.

What do you think?

Another point is how are we going to vote. The simple idea I see is the
following:

- Voting via email: The list of zero to 5 candidates will be sent to a
designated bee that will count the votes. This bee cannot be a candidate.

What do you think about that second point?

Cheers
Boriss