[OOTB-distro] Clustering/load balancing Alfresco Commmunity

Andreas Steffan a.steffan at contentreich.de
Thu May 7 08:15:25 BST 2015

On 05/07/2015 09:00 AM, Torben Lauritzen wrote:
>> Sorry, but I don't buy the "The EE people are doing this for good
>> reason" argument. :) The feature came along with the EE they bought.
>> Why not make use of it when it comes at no additional cost?
>>

> Why make use of it, if it is not necessary?

Because it ships working out of the box and people tell you its awesome.  ;)

>> I am sure Alfresco Inc. has a serious need this feature at cloud
>> scale. But other than that?
>>
>> Speaking about scale, you might want to check out how the SO guys are
>> doing it :
>> http://highscalability.com/blog/2014/7/21/stackoverflow-update-560m-pageviews-a-month-25-servers-and-i.html
>> . Has nothing to do with Alfresco, but shows that you can get very
>> far by just scaling up vertically.
>>

> That is exactly the point! With enough money for hardware and a
> specialized application, you can get very far… But we have the
> opposite situation: It needs to run on relatively cheap hardware and
> it is a very generic and large application.

Oh, come on. Hardware is dirt cheap. Building up a distributed
transactional cache is most likely way more expensive.

Does the customer really dictate what hardware you must use?

cheers
Andreas

--
Andreas Steffan

Achter Billing 14
22399 Hamburg
Germany

skype: contentreich
M: +49 1793903615
T: +49 40 23943542
F: +49 40 23943542

http://www.contentreich.de

Contentreich : Alfresco ECM, Clojure, Groovy und WordPress - aus Spaß und für Geld