[OOTB-distro] Clustering/load balancing Alfresco Commmunity

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Mon May 4 21:55:13 BST 2015

Thanks Torben

I'm looking at this: http://docs.alfresco.com/4.1/concepts/ha-scenarios.html

I'm not sure what "L2 cache" is. Based on the diagram I'd guess it's
something transformed from db format into lucene metadata. Whether this
is still relevant in the solr world I'm not sure but there is probably
some analogue.

So bearing in mind I have no experience with any kind of enterprise
clustering, here goes my reckoning, feel free to shoot it down.

The three things we can cluster are filesystem, database, and the index
data.

It seems likely to me that the filesystem clustering is handled by SANs
and similar technologies.

Similarly databases have been designed to be clustered for some time.

So what is left is the indexes, in solr. I would imagine that solr
should also have been designed to be clustered in some way.

The conclusion is that the various clustering things that are used in
these systems are in some way incompatible; perhaps it is necessary for
them to be in absolute sync and this cannot be guaranteed by the
different strategies used in the available clusters.

So my question is: what do we need to cluster? I guess an idea of the
use cases involved is most useful.