[OOTB-addons] status of AAAR addon

Francesco Corti fcorti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:42:35 BST 2015

Hi Martin,
Hi all,

Following your invite, I start sharing an initial thought about the
integration of the OOTB plugins in the Alfresco menu. Please read it as a
personal contribution to the discussion.

Of course I don't think to AAAR only, but I'd prefer to think to a certain
amount of plugins that a community software should include as available (I
think to Pentaho Suite and Liferay as good examples). I avoid to talk about
'the marketplace' that is an off topic, but IMHO this is one of the most
relevant features Alfresco Community should have to make it more open to
external contributions. :-)

Back to the thread...
My thought is that the item in the menu is mainly a shortcut to the
features and, typically, it should be visible depending to the role/permits
of the connected user. As you suggest, the menu item of the plugin could be
in a "plugin list" under a principal "OOTB plugins" item (this is a sane
solution because an administrator should want to install several plugins).
In every case I imagine also a setup in the settings where the plugin item
should be available directly in the main menu. The philosophy is: let the
administrator choose the menu he/she wants for the users.

Summarizing, my thought is:
- Add the OTTB item in the main menu as unique new item.
- The OTTB item has one sub-item for each plugin (ordered by name?).
- The plugin sub-item should be visible depending on the role/permits of
the connected user.
- The plugin sub-item should admit sub-items, freely defined from the
plugin's developers.
- The plugin item could be requested to be in the main menu (not by
default).

While I was writing I was thinking on how to develop it and the Saiku is
confirmed as a good solution because it should support all those
features... but this is another topic. :-)

Cheers,

-F