[OOTB-addons] Uploader-Plus - Informal Review

Angel Borroy angel.borroy at keensoft.es
Fri Nov 28 18:38:18 GMT 2014

Hi,

To inspect addons like uploader plus, with just only two dozens of files, is a reasonable effort and it can be done by hand. But what about more complex addons? Should we invest some time on experimenting with SonarQube rules or something similar? I have no experience on this, but it seems a suitable approach.

On the other hand, our reviews should be a public work and we should engage developers on it in order to improve developments quality and some homogenization. So, we should explore some tool able to provide a formatted review ready to publish in some way (github wiki could be enough?)

Finally, Xmas is here and we have no work to show. Should we get a candidate addons list and get some of them reviewed? I can provide one or two formal reviews in the next two/three weeks, but we need to fix our target addons before this.

Regards,

Angel Borroy
keensoft

email:   angel.borroy at keensoft.es
web:     http://www.keensoft.es
móvil:  +34 655 47 47 55

CONFIDENCIALIDAD:

La presente comunicación y, en su caso, los ficheros que lleve adjuntos, pertenecen exclusivamente a las personas a las que va dirigido y puede contener información confidencial. Si usted no es el destinatario de este mensaje (o la persona responsable de su entrega), considérese advertido de que lo ha recibido por error y que cualquier uso, difusión, reenvío o copia están prohibidos legalmente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor notifíquelo al remitente y proceda a destruirlo inmediatamente.

This message and the attached documents may contain privileged/confidential information and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person) be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify it to the sender and destroy it immediately.

En 23 de noviembre de 2014 en 20:49:06, Axel Faust (axel.faust at prodyna.com) escrito:

Hello,

after getting back from a two-week engagement, I finally got some time to check this.

Thanks Angel for doing this informal review and the feedback.

My notes / questions on this:

The violation of non-technical #7 does not apply (any more) at this point. The addon does not require a build from source (which is the requirement) and provides pre-built AMP on the GitHub release page (https://github.com/softwareloop/uploader-plus/releases/tag/v1.0).

I’ve removed the duplicate technical #19

I’ve added technical #31 as a “should not” for the issue of overriding FTL you listed. But he actually uses the web-extension approach which we check for in technical #13, so technically the addon uses one of the recommended approaches – although it would be way better if he used Surf Sub-Component configuration via the extension module.

I will check if his customizations would be possible that way and either file an issue with him or prepare a pull-request for it.

I agree with the added value proposition, but previous discussions have taught me to separate them from the review aspect. A reviewer should focus on the as-is state of an addon and not be required to do the work of the developer. I feel it should be a priority to give feedback to the developer so he/she can provide the added value, e.g. like Paolo has apparently added the pre-built AMPs and even done his own compatibility tests (http://softwareloop.com/uploader-plus-compatibility-tests/).

Regarding review tooling: We definitely have to look into potential tools that offer high value for limited effort. But we should collect some more input from reviews to find the really boring / tedious parts of a review to try and optimize. What aspect of the code “inspection” do you feel to require the most effort?

Regards

Axel